Friday, November 14, 2008

Update on Sydney

So as most of you know, Sydney has been having diarrhea for 2.5 months now. Some days she might have 2 bad diapers and the next 6 bad diapers. And when I say bad diapers, I mean bad diapers! Her pediatrician ran some labs on her poop to test for parasites, c-diff, and several other diseases. Everything came back normal. Her doctor felt like she just had a stomach virus and was taking a long time getting over it. Well, after being sent home several times from mother's day out, I called the pediatrician's office back and asked them what was I supposed to do. At this time, we were going on almost 2 months of diarrhea. Her doctor's office said that they felt like she was just still getting over a stomach virus and to give it another 2 weeks. Well, after I got a little irritated with the nurse, she got us a GI consult. I just felt like there was no way Sydney had a stomach virus for 2 months. And not to mention none of us had gotten anything from her.
So on October 29th, we went and saw a GI doctor. He felt like after listening to her history that she might have celiac disease, a thyroid problem, or some kind of food allergy. He drew 5 tubes of blood from her to test several things. He also sent me home with 3 hemoccult slides to do and send back to him. (these are to test for blood in her poop.) Well, last Wednesday his nurse called me and said that Sydney's hematocrit was low. It is 27 so she is a little anemic. Which totally explains why her face is so pale, why she has big red circles under her eyes and why she has no energy. She will play for a little bit and then she will just lay down on the floor totally exhausted. So because her crit was low he was worried she was losing blood in her poop. So they got the 3 slides i sent them and sure enough all 3 tested very positive for blood. He sent us to Children's Hospital on Thursday to have a meckle's scan done. It is a test where they inject dye into your bloodstream and then take pictures every minute for the next hour of her stomach. In this test they are looking to see if any of the dye shows up in her intestines which would indicate that she has stomach lining in her intestines. If positive then she would have to have surgery and have it removed, but she would be fine after surgery.
Well, her test was normal and there was no stomach lining in her intestines. After the test we went and saw her GI doctor. oh, i forgot to mention....last Friday on our way to mother's day out sydney started to cry. I turned around to look at her and she has throw up all over her. While i am looking at her she proceeds to throw up again. I get her cleaned up the best I can and we head home. On the way home she threw up 3 more times. Her vomit was dark brown liquid. Not a good sign. On Thursday on the way to the hospital she threw up again in the car and again it was dark brown liquid. it looks like coffee grounds. Which basically means she is vomitting old blood. So when we met with her doctor he decided that we needed to go ahead and set sydney up to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. So she will be having that done on december 2nd at Children's.
I feel so bad that my poor baby is going to have to go through that. She will be asleep for the procedure but the day before we will have to get her to drink a ton of miralax to make her clean her system out. It is not going to be fun for her or me either. I wish i could take her place and it be me instead of her. I am just so ready for some answers and for her to feel better. you can look at her and tell her color is pale and that her energy level is low. Her doctor doesn't know what it could be but he said his 3 best guesses are some form of crohn's disease, celiac disease, or possibly an ulcer or inflammation.
Please keep us in your prayers as we go through this time. Pray for Sydney to feel better and for us as we have to wait for 2 weeks before her test. The waiting game stinks. I just want my baby better and back to herself.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Poor little girl!! I know what you mean about wishing you could take their place. I would so much rather be sick or in pain than the little one! I hope that everything turns on okay on December 2nd and that you can get some answers, and getting that girl to feeling better soon! We are praying for her. Love you!

Brunson said...

Hey Jill... I am so sorry to hear that Sydney has been having these problems. I know we have been playing phone tag lately and I just wanted to let you know that we are praying for Sydney and hope that she gets better very soon! I also know that she was admitted to the hospital tonight and that we are praying for her and the rest of the family. Please keep us posted.

Autumn said...

Hi Jill! Got your message on Facebook! So sorry to hear about your baby... you hang in there! And, please know we will be praying for you ALL!! Miss you and love you!

mk

mk
Mary Kate

sydney

sydney
sydney

Sydney and Bo

Sydney and Bo
Sydney and Bo

chan's shirt

chan's shirt
My first appliqued shirt I did